Major: English and Digital Media Leadership
Interesting Fact: Taylor wrote a novel last November
Major: Biomedical Engineering
Interesting Fact: Max owns an LLC called Footprint Medical Technologies
Iowa City is a campus designed for quick travel. Here are some tips for getting where you need to go and orienting yourself on campus.
1. Bring good walking shoes. Regardless of where your lab is located, you will be doing a lot of walking in Iowa City.
2. Use the Iowa River as a compass. The river splits campus into east and west sides.
3. Stroll along the T. Anne Cleary Walkway. It will take you from the dorms straight to campus.
4. Take advantage of the Bongo app. It tells you when and where you can catch a bus to get to your lab. You can also visit their website:
During your time at SSTP, you will become familiar with many campus buildings. Here are some of the most important buildings to know.
1.The Blank Honors Center (BHC): Home of the Belin-Blank Center. This will be an important meeting spot and location for activities.
2. Burge Residence Hall: Your home for the summer. Hang out in your floor lounge, the Burge lobby, and experience college living.
3. The Campus Recreation and Wellness Center: Swim, play basketball, or simply do a workout.
4. The University Main Library: Weekly class sessions will be held here.
5. The Old Capitol: The well-known landmark of Iowa City and the University of Iowa. Use it to orient yourself on campus.
Here’s what past SSTP participants had to say to future students:
1. “Ask questions as much as possible! When it came time to create my abstract and poster, my mentor and grad student were great resources.”
2. “Be brave and be proactive. Step out of your comfort zone and you will reap the full benefits and joys of exploration.”
3. “Try your hardest and learn the most you possibly can.”
4. “You have an opportunity to make lasting connections with people from all over the world. Do not waste it.”
5. “I think it is so important to always be challenged and force yourself to question current beliefs.”
6. “Come ready to learn and enjoy Iowa City!”